Tuesday 16 August 2011

Sweet, Sweet Hydration

I've tried my fair share of lip balms and nothing has said hydration to me quite like an eos lip balm.


The Overview
Not only are they possibly the cutest little egg shaped products I've ever seen, they actually work! The ease of application is just a sweet bonus. Who knew having to apply balm to each lip in turn was the labour intensive way of doing it!? With eos, a couple of quick sweeps along your closed lips leaves them hydrated for the rest of the hour.


The Chemistry
*95% organic and 100% natural. 
If you eat organic, you sure as hell want to be wearing organic too. Up to 60% of the products you put on your skin are absorbed by your body and deposited in your circulatory system. If you wouldn't eat it, why would you let your body absorb it instead? 
Some of the inorganic and unnatural ingredients added to cosmetics are known irritants and carcinogens. The FDA may only act on dangerous ingredients in makeup AFTER they're on our shelves!


*Paraben and Petrolatum free
Paraben is the most common preservative in cosmetic products. Whilst preservatives do help to stop the growth of bacteria on our products, there are questions surrounding parabens and the role they may play in skin irritation and breast cancer rates. Don't go worrying about it too much though, since no official studies have found such links just yet, and the FDA believes them to be safe for cosmetic use. 
Petrolatum protects injured or exposed skin and slows the loss of water from your skin by forming a barrier on the skins surface. It is, however, rumoured to block your pores. Again, the FDA believes this chemical to be safe for cosmetic use.


*Vitamin E
Clinical and research into Vitamin E have PROVEN positive health effects from the use of vitamin E in consumption in rich foods, and since your skin is absorbing the product the benefits of vitamin E are absorbed straight into your circulatory system. There are many benefits of Vitamin E (to which I will dedicate the next post) - but this super antioxidant is one you don't want to miss out on, in food, or in cosmetics.


*Shea butter
This is a wonder product in hydration. The best quality shea butters have been shown to help with wrinkles, eczema, blemishes, rashes and other skin disorders, along with having soothing and anti-bacterial properties.


*Jojoba oil
Thought to be able to trick the skin into believing it is producing enough oil, jojoba is noncomedogenic and can be used without fear. It provides day long moisture and unlike water based  moisturisers it doesn't evaporate. It is absorbed well by the skin, and as a chemical it is very stable. This allows it to have a long shelf life, stopping it from becoming rancid or losing its antioxidants.



The Cons
So whilst I think the eos lip balm is a great product, it still has a couple of drawbacks to me. 
1. Before you get to the wonderful smooth centre, eos has a VERY plasticy shell. In fact it really put me off at first. Although having said that, it doesn't take long to get through it and it's probably to seal in the product and keep it fresh until it's ready to be used.
2. The egg itself gets dirty pretty quickly if you keep it around other make up - but perhaps that won't be such a problem if you're not as rough as I am with lip balm. 
3. The lemon drop with SPF 15 takes a little getting used to due to a slight twang in it's flavour. I didn't take too too long to get used to it, but it did make me question my want to use it for a while there!




Flavours
There are actually 7 to try. The rather elusive Pomegranate Raspberry seems to have jumped ship on their website though!
I've only made me way through the 'lemon drop spf 15' and the 'honeysuckle honeydew'. Both I enjoyed thoroughly, and of course my first choice was the lemon drop as it came ready with SPF. I've yet to see a strawberry sorbet in person, but it's one I'm keeping my eye out for. I'm also keen to try 'Summer Fruits' which  I might pinch that from my sister as she was one of the poor souls that didn't make it through the plasticy layer. 
In general the 'sweet mint' is the one most loved around the net, and the 'pomegranate raspberry' is the least loved - possibly explaining its curious disappearance from the eos website.


Application 
Although eos stands for 'evolution of smooth', you still need to buff away at that dry skin on your lips before application(my favourite is just to run my clarisonic over pursed lips a couple of times). After that it really is all smooth sailing. 



The Damage 
This product will burn a hole anywhere between $2.90 and $3.50 in USD. So not a sizeable hole considering one lasts me around 4 months.


nb. It's always good to know what ingredients are in your makeup, but you needn't let rumours scare you. The FDA does detailed checks into claims about cosmetic products, and since most of these ingredients have been in cosmetics for eons, the proper checks really have been carried out. 


So, for my first post I thought I'd talk about something I love wholly and completely. It's my most reached for product, and whilst not essentially only a product for superficial people, it's still both well loved and used. Maybe I'll write about something a bit more fun next time.  




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment